Saturday, 27 October 2012

to tan or not to tan?

Is there such a thing as too much? Is 'too much' Katie Price or has she set the standard we should all be aiming for? In this sudden new beauty revival, seemingly obsessed with tanning, is there really such a thing as pale and beautiful? When we say 'oh I just love her porcelain skin' do we really mean 'she needs to get busy with St Tropez?'. 

Yesterday, I had my first experience of spray tanning. My friend is on the dance team for uni and had to go and get it done, I decided to accompany her to avoid doing some dissertation work (no intention of getting it done myself). Once there, I figured why not. A mistake. My hands and feet are like little, brown bear paws and, compared to my skin, and my teeth look radioactively white. In future, I think I'll stick to tinted gradual tan lotion.

It's interesting to see the shift in fake tan acceptance. I remember a couple of years ago, there was still a touch of embarrassment about using fake tan. Magazines regularly used to mock celebs for using fake tan and seemed to revel in drawing big red circles around their dodgy orange application mistakes (oh, they actually still love doing that).

Perhaps the best and most recent example of tan acceptance is the big, fat, royal wedding. Pippa and Kate Middleton had clearly both been at it - either they had just come back from a month in Mauritius or they had recently had an experience of paper pants (probably designed by Sarah Burton). I reckon it's the latter. Their tans were just too even to be real and Kate would have surely been concerned about bikini lines. So it's safe to say that if the future Queen of England feels happy to walk down the aisle dipped in the brown stuff it is officially nationally accepted.

But the question still remains, how much can we get away with? I would love to hear your thoughts...and also, who do you think has the perfect tan? Perma-tan, natural glow or pale and interesting? Christine Bleakley vs. Cate Blanchett? Alexa Chung vs. Alex Jones?

x

1 comment:

  1. I am a big tanaphobe. My best friend never used to but is now obsessed with the stuff and fake tans herself before every night out, resulting in me commenting on all her pictures the next day about how Mediterranean she looks (; I forgive her because she's my friend but I do think it's a bit ridiculous sometimes - especially in winter when it's quite obvious that unless you've come back off holiday then you've used the stuff. If all these people were happy to embrace their natural paleness then all the milk bottles like me out there would stand out a lot less! xx

    ReplyDelete

hey.